Saturday, December 11, 2010

Stomach or back???

I have a little problem. Emery would much rather sleep on her stomach than on her back. I have come to learn this just recently. Up until now she has been sleeping in her swing. I know I probably shouldn't have started this bad habit but I did. So last week we set up the pack n play in our room. I get her swaddled and snoozing, Lay her on her back in the pack n play, turn on the vibration thing underneath and 20 minutes later she is up. I have tried this over and over and the longest she stays sleeping on her back is 20 minutes. She Loves to sleep on my chest so I decided just to see how she would do on her stomach.....and she loves it. I Know this is so SOO against the rules though. What is your thoughts on this??? I am so torn. Should I continue to try and force her on her back?

I have watched her very closely and she has great head control. What I mean is that if she rolls her head from the right to her head being face down she rolls it to the side pretty quick on her own. So in my mind I am thinking that she knows to roll it to the side.... Or maybe i am crazy..

On another note she is starting to sleep through a feeding at night. She did this all on her own and it has been nice having a six hour span at night!
I appreciate your opinions ladies! Thanks!

2 comments:

Donaldson Days... said...

when we were little the drs told our parents the safest way for us to sleep was on our stomachs :) However you can get her to sleep, do it!

Christa said...

trust your own instincts.. You know what is best for her. I put both of my kids on their tummy's to sleep at 4 and 5 weeks old. I too justified it by the great head control and they both slept thru the night very early as well. I started this transition by always putting them down for naps during the day (when i was awake and alert) on their tummy and eventually transitioned doing it at night as well. Good luck and trust the instincts God has blessed you with.