Tuesday, November 30, 2010

things i now know

There are things I now know as a mom that i didn't know before.

1) Breastfeeding is a LONELY job. I totally get why some people quit.
2) Pumping and Dumping SUCKS! Had two glasses of wine over the break and had to Pump n dump twice. SO sad to pour it down the drain!
3) Having a husband that helps is so nice. He went hunting while we were in LC and those two nights alone were , well lonely and a tad more tiring.
4) I thought I loved my dogs more than anything. Like they could never be replaced. I now know that they are second priority and I love Emery so much more. (don't tell Milo n Scooter although i think they already know.)
5) I can no longer just grab my things and go.
6) My mom thinks I am a baby hog.

The list could go on forever! But i need some advice.
The past few days I feel my milk supply has gone WAY down. Which is strange because we went and bought a deep freeze because I had sooo much milk. I'm not sure if it has anything to do with going in town for Thanksgiving and maybe I didn't pump enough... not sure.
So how do i get it back?
I am pumping now constantly, eating oatmeal, and I plan on going to buy that Fenugreek stuff today. Any other suggestions??


7 comments:

Suz and Brandon said...

Mother's Milk Herbal Tea at HEB in the tea aisle. It will come back! I fed the twins for 4 months, and the tea and the pills really helped.

Donaldson Days... said...

sorry to say but any alcohol at all will dry you up some. If I had a glass of wine a few nights I could totally tell my milk was lower!

Christa said...

beer helps the supply increase. (*have one early afternoon)
but i had the same problem as you - going in town always depleted my supply b/c everyone wanted to give her a bottle and I hated going by myself to pump. start pumping between feedings.. supply and demand. so increase the demand by pumping more and more milk will eventually be supplied. be patient, it will take a while. Also. you probably aren't as LOW as you think. it takes 6 weeks for your milk supply to even out. i had a ton in the beginning too, but as your body adjust to what the baby needs you may need less than what you were making. just as long as the princess (emery) is happy.. all is good!

jill said...

I agree with Christa on the pumping between. Once Emery has eaten, try to pump. It will seem like nothing is coming out, but it will come back if your body thinks you need it. And you can freeze what you do get out for bonus! Hang in there, you are doing great.

The Heberts said...

Thanks SOOO much ladies for the advice! I got out today and bought some beer, tea, fenugreek, and me and my pump are best friends!! Fingers crossed it all works!

Eat, Drink & Be Merry said...

Hey Candice! Congrats on that sweet baby!!! We should hang out while I'm in Houston...thanks for thinking about me :) about your milk supply...make sure you are eating enough...after I had Jack I tried cutting back calories trying to lose weight and I stopped losing weight and almost lost my milk supply...when I started eating more I got my milk back and the weight FELL off of me. Same thing happened with Madeline...the more I eat the quicker I lose weight. Hang in there and eat healthy and you will be surprised at how well it all falls into place!

Shane F said...

Hey Girl! I just found your blog and love reading about your new growing family. I nursed my first and now am nursing Raley (my 3 month old) and would love to help in anyway I can. Email me if you need anything! shaneforet@gmail.com